Jim Crute KO’s Modestas Bakauskas; Mullarkey edged by decision at UFC Fight Night 180
Australian Jimmy Crute made quick work of opponent Modestas Bukauskas at UFC Fight Island on Sunday (AEDT), stopping him in devastating fashion in the first round.
A mistimed kick from Bakauskas allowed Crute to land a clean right hook and it was the beginning of the end as the 24-year-old followed up with strikes that dropped his opponent against the cage and the referee halted the contest.
It came only 2:04 into the contest as Crute moved his record to 12-1 (UFC 4-1).
Crute already had his next opponent planned as he called out a Ukrainian light-heavyweight.
“I know there’s a man that was supposed to fight on this card.”
“I know he won’t tie me down like a lot of these other guys. Nikita Krylov, what do you want?” Crute added in his post-fight interview
Post-event, Crute was awarded the ‘KO of the Night’ and pocketed an extra US$50,000.
Earlier on the card, Jamie Mullarkey suffered his second consecutive loss with a competitive unanimous decision going against the Australian lightweight. All three judges awarded the fight to Fares Ziam 29-28.
UFC Fight Night 180, Brian Ortega vs ‘Korean Zombie’ took place in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. In the main event, Brian Ortega earned the unanimous decision win and looks set to be next in line to face the UFC featherweight champion, Australian Alexander Volkanovski.
- Brian Ortega def. Chan Sung Jung via Decision (Unanimous)
- Jessica Andrade def. Katlyn Chookagian via KO (Punches to the Body), Rd 1, 4:55
- Jimmy Crute def. Modestas Bukausas via KO (Punches), Rd 1, 2:01
- James Krause def. Claudio Silva via Decision (Unanimous)
- Jonathan Martinez def. Thomas Almeida via Decision (Unanimous)
- Guram Kutateladze def. Mateusz Gamrot via Decision (Split)
- Gillian Robertson def. Poliana Botelho via Decision (Unanimous)
- Jun Yong Park def. John Phillips via Decision (Unanimous)
- Fares Ziam def. Jamie Mullarkey via Decision (Unanimous)
- Maxim Grishin def. Gadzhimurad Antigulov via TKO (Punches), Rd 2, 4:58
- Said Nurmagomedov def. Mark Striegl via KO (Punches), Rd 1, 0:51