UFC 238 results: Petr Yan nearly finishes Jimmie Rivera twice, calls for title shot
Yan (13-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) took a unanimous decision from Rivera (22-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC) and came close to finishing him at the end of the first two rounds. But ultimately, he settled for a pair of 29-28 scores scores and a 30-27 from the judges. Then he said he wanted the next bantamweight title shot.
The bantamweight bout was part of the main card of Saturday’s UFC 238 event at United Center in Chicago. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN and UFC Fight Pass/ESPN+.
Rivera whiffed on a kick, but Yan was good with his to the lead leg for the fight’s first strike. Then he tried to keep Rivera’s back toward the fence on the outside. They looked for openings for the next two minutes and traded short kicks and jabs. Yan tried to kick up the middle with two minutes left, but Rivera was just out of the way.
A crazy scramble with 30 seconds left on the ground nearly wound up with Rivera in position to get a choke, but Yan pushed through it – then landed a left hand that sent Rivera straight to the canvas. Yan pounced on him and landed a few more punches with 10 seconds left, but couldn’t get the finish before the horn.
Rivera swung hard 30 seconds into the second and nearly clipped Yan. A jab moments later pushed Yan backward, but he stayed upright. Rivera landed a two-punch combo 90 seconds in and looked like he was not only recovered from the end of the first, but finding his range. Yan landed a big body kick, but Rivera worked through it and kept throwing kicks and punches of his own.
With 70 seconds left, Yan connected clean with a left head kick, but somehow Rivera didn’t go down. When Yan moved in, Rivera tied him up defensively till they broke apart with 40 seconds left. Rivera was cut up around his nose, but kept swinging for the fences. Yan landed a leaping knee with 15 seconds left, and then a moment later again nearly finished Rivera with punches at the end of the round, taking him off his feet once again like the end of the first frame.
Rivera looked for takedowns early in the third, but couldn’t keep Yan on the canvas. Rivera almost certainly knew he’d need a finish in the fight to win it, and he clipped Yan midway through the final round. But Yan stayed up and kept pushing in with a kick to the body. An accidental eye poke from Rivera got Yan a short break and a look from the doctor with 80 seconds left, but he continued. Yan just missed a head kick with a minute left when Rivera ducked under, and after a brief tie-up Rivera tried to go for broke to no avail.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 238 results include:
- Petr Yan def. Jimmie Rivera via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Blagoy Ivanov def. Tai Tuivasa via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tatiana Suarez def. Nina Ansaroff via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Aljamain Sterling def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexa Grasso def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Calvin Kattar def. Ricardo Lamas via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:06
- Yan Xiaonan def. Angela Hill via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Darren Stewart def. Bevon Lewis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Eddie Wineland def. Grigorii Popov via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 4:47
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Joanne Calderwood via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)