UFC 238 results: Aljamain Sterling dismantles Pedro Munhoz, calls for title shot
Sterling (18-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) didn’t shoot, but stood with Munhoz (18-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC) and surprised him with an unconventional attack that set up a sweep on the judges’ scorecards Saturday night.
The final tally was 30-27 thrice for Sterling, who picked up his third straight win in a key matchup. Munhoz had an argument for a title shot with a brutal knockout of Cody Garbrandt in his previous performance, and all that momentum went the opposite direction.
Over 15 minutes, Munhoz tried his best to get Sterling into the kind of firefight that allowed him to land the knockout blow against Sterling. He wouldn’t get that satisfaction, and more often than not, his bias toward power hooks left him exposed to counters. Keeping his head off the center line and using every bit of his six-inch reach advantage, Sterling ducked in and out of range.
Of course, all that movement was taxing, which is why Munhoz’s conventional attack – and tank-like jaw – eventually paid dividends with leg kicks that forced a switch in stances. Sterling had to dig deep to stop his opponent from putting together combinations, or catching him napping with a head kick that historically has been disastrous.
After 10 minutes, Sterling looked like he was hanging on for dear life. Then he literally cursed Munhoz and started chopping away with his own kicks, and he followed with punches that might have felled foes with more brittle chins. Instead, he closed out strong and snapped a three-fight streak for Munhoz.
The bantamweight bout was part of the preliminary card of UFC 238 at United Center in Chicago. It aired on ESPN following prelims on UFC Fight Pass/ESPN+ and ahead of the main card on pay-per-view.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 238 results include:
- Aljamain Sterling def. Pedro Munhoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Alexa Grasso def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Calvin Kattar def. Ricardo Lamas via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 4:06
- Yan Xiaonan def. Angela Hill via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Darren Stewart def. Bevon Lewis via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Eddie Wineland def. Grigorri Popov via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 4:47
- Katlyn Chookagian def. Joanne Calderwood via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)