Steven Kennedy submits Ben Alloway at Eternal 44
Two former UFC fighters clashed in the main event of Eternal MMA 44 on Saturday night with Western Australian Steven Kennedy coming out victorious, submitting Ben Alloway in the second round.
The event was held at HBF Stadium in Perth, Western Australia.
The main event bout started cautiously with both fighters throwing singular leg kicks early before a striking exchange ended with Alloway clinching against the cage. That was an error as Kennedy hip tossed Alloway to the canvas and straight away transitioned to side-control and mount.
Alloway attempted to regain guard but that allowed Kennedy to take the back and rain down punches before looking to sneak the arm around the neck. Alloway stayed calm and regained closed guard before the round ended.
In the second round, Alloway tried to capitalise by taking the back standing. Kennedy locked up the standing kimura and attacked with it. Alloway looked to roll out but the 36-year-old Kennedy kept it tight, ultimately getting the tap.
The win moves “The Steamrolla’s” record to 27-9. Since a 0-2 run in the UFC, Kennedy has gone 5-1 since.
Alloway, returning in the cage for the first time in two years, drops to 19-9.
In the co-main event, Glen Pettigrew travelled from Queensland and overcame local Aldin Bates via decision. Pettigrew out-wrestled his opponent in the first round and took a dominant lead after Bates had a point taken off due to a knee to a grounded opponent. Pettigrew continues with the constant pressure in the second round. Needing the finish in the last round, Bates came out aggressive and countered the early takedown. Another point deduction, this time for hitting the back of head, lit a spark for Bates who started to brawl. Pettigrew returned fire though it was Bates who landed the better of the punches.
Pettigrew held on to get awarded the unanimous decision and now moves on to face Jack Della for the title.
Also on the card, Aaren McConnell stopped Branton Termine via a first round TKO and Luke Jones won a unanimous decision against Lukaz Catubig.
- Steven Kennedy def. Ben Alloway via Submission (Kimura), Rd 2, 1:35
- Glen Pettigrew def. Aldin Bates via Decision (Unanimous)
- Aaren McConnell def. Branton Termine via TKO (Strikes), Rd 1, 4:59
- Luke Jones def. Lukaz Catubig via Decision (Unanimous)
- Josh Grove def. Abdallah Eltigani via Decision (Unanimous)
- Sebastian Sazlay def. Justin Hickey via KO (Punch), Rd 1, 1:41
- Stefan Pietropaolo def. Jason McDonnell via TKO (Punches), Rd 1, 2:30
- Quilland Salkilld def. Chris Butler via TKO (Strikes), Rd 2, 1:36
- Kane Rickus def. Stefan Licastro via KO (Punch), Rd 1, 1:50
- Stafford Swainston def. Wade McConnell via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 1, 2:29
- Charlie McGleave def. Don Smith via TKO (Strikes), Rd 1. 2:50
- Blake Coleman def. Tyrown Waigana via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), Rd 2, 2:25
- Jacob Prosser def. Lorenz Araneda via TKO (Body Kick), Rd 1, 2:04
- Blake Playle def. Brady Cooper via TKO (Strikes), Rd 1, 0:16
- Daan Franics def. Curtis Morgan via Submission (Triangle Choke), Rd 1, 1:26
- Alex Higginson def. Jett Waller via Submission (Guillotine Choke), Rd 2, 0:46