'Violent Bob Ross' drops to featherweight, meets Steven Peterson at UFC Nashville
MMAjunkie verified the matchup between Pena (5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and Peterson (17-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) with a person close to the situation following an initial report from MMA journalist Rodney James Edgar. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the UFC has yet to make an official announcement.
UFC on ESPN+ 6 takes place March 23 at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn. The card streams on ESPN+.
After making his first two UFC appearances at lightweight, Pena, 25, will drop down to 145 pounds for his next contest. He revealed plans to make the move after losing a split decision to Mike Trizano at UFC Fight Night 139 in November and at 6-foot-3, will become the tallest featherweight on the UFC roster.
Peterson, 28, will attempt to play spoiler to Pena’s first fight in the weight class after picking up a split decision win of his own against Matt Bessette at The Ultimate Fighter 27 Finale in July. “Ocho” has alternates wins and losses over his past seven bouts, but could get a streak going for the first time in his octagon tenure at UFC on ESPN+ 6.
The UFC on ESPN+ 6 lineup includes:
- Stephen Thompson vs. Anthony Pettis
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Justin Willis
- Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Jussier Formiga
- Alexis Davis vs. Jennifer Maia
- Angela Hill vs. Randa Markos
- J.J. Aldrich vs. Maycee Barber
- Martin Day vs. Chris Gutierrez
- Bryce Mitchell vs. Bobby Moffett
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. John Makdessi
- Luis Pena vs. Steven Peterson