Ryan LaFlare announces MMA retirement after more than 10 years, 10 UFC fights
After 10 fights in the UFC, welterweight Ryan LaFlare today said he’s hanging up his gloves.
LaFlare (14-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) this past Saturday opened the prelims at UFC 229 with a third-round knockout loss to Tony Martin (14-4 MMA, 6-4 UFC). The setback gave LaFlare losses in two of his final three fights.
The 35-year-old said in an Instagram post that injuries throughout his training camp and entire career helped push him to his decision, and that because he wasn’t fully prepared mentally and physically, he knew now was the time.
The full text of LaFlare’s retirement statement is below:
Saturday night didn’t go my way. This is a very unforgiving sport. You either win or lose. You have to be “ALL IN” to be successful. Mentally I wanted to be there but I have been plagued with injuries this camp as well as my whole career and tried to fight through them and keep a positive attitude but as I started making my final weight cut I started breaking down.
I’ve always told myself the second I’m not there mentally and physically I will be hanging my gloves up. I’m too proud and passionate about this sport to not give it everything I have and my body is really starting to pay the toll.
After 10+ years as a professional mixed martial artist and 5+ years with the @Ufc it hurts to say this but Saturday October 6th was most likely the last fight of my professional career. I want to thank the @ufc for allowing me to do what I love and give me the opportunity to travel around the world and showcase my skills. Thank you to my coaches @keith_trimble @greggdepasquale @henrihooft @kycerm @roblistrength @docmcamp @dr.amato_pt for putting in the extra time for me. This isn’t a very lucrative sport for coaches so I know all of their time wasn’t for financial reasons. Thank you to my manager @aliabdelaziz000 And @dominancemma_ for always looking out for me and having my best interest at mind.
Thank you to all my friends, family and fans who have supported me over the years. You truly are my biggest motivation. Thank you to my parents George and @trishlaflare For molding me into the man I have become. Most importantly thank you to my wife @daniellelaflare and my children, they have to deal with all of the behind the scenes BS that no one gets to see and are always supportive no matter the outcome. I’ve made lifelong friends over the years and nothing can change that. You guys will be a part of me for the rest of my life. #teamlaflare #ryanlaflare
LaFlare started his career a perfect 7-0, all under the Ring of Combat banner in New Jersey. The Long Islander finished his first seven fights, including a win in a Ring of Combat welterweight title fight and two defenses of the title before getting a call from the UFC.
LaFlare debuted in the UFC in April 2013 and won his first five fights in the promotion – all by decision after seven straight finishes to open his career. In March 2015, he headlined a UFC card for the first time when he fought Demian Maia in Rio de Janeiro. He lost the fight by unanimous decision with 48-46 scores from all three judges for his first pro setback.
LaFlare bounced back with decision wins over Mike Pierce and Roan Carneiro, the latter of which came after 14 months of inactivity due to injury setbacks. At UFC on FOX 25 in July 2017, he was finished for the first time when he was knocked out by Alex Oliveira in front of his home fans in New York.
Earlier this year, in April, he rebounded with a decision over Alex Garcia for what now stands as the final win of his pro career. In the answer to a future trivia question, LaFlare’s seven wins outside the UFC all were by stoppage. His seven wins in the UFC all were by decision.
UFC 229 took place Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.